Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Pizza Heaven

I-T-A-L-Y
I Totally Adore and Love You
(yuckkkkkkkkkk)


I was in a pizza mood.
I am like that every once in a while...

Where to go?
Hmmmm ... blogsearch Anton Diaz and his Awesome Planet. He has rarely failed me in my search for solutions to my hunger pangs. Ok ... search pizza. There you go - Pizzeria Via Montenapoleone !

CIMG0574

This moderne Italian cantina is located on Jupiter St. which seems to be undergoing a resurgence as food row Makati. Upon entering, one cannot mistake the upscale canteen ambience... open kitchen, food display counters, and kitchen workers in t-shirts.

The owner is an amiable man named Nuccio. He is from Sicily and talks with a thick Italian accent. He engaged us in conversation about Italy... we talked about food, football and my favorite Italian destination - Capri. He recommended the Spaghetti Via Montenapoleone (house sauce). I shot back ... "how does one refuse a Sicilian?" That got him laughing ... and it got me a complimentary glass of white wine.

And then there was the pizza. We ordered a Pizza Romana - tomato, mozarella, anchovies, olives, capers, oregano and olive oil. I took time to take a picture of their high heat wood fired oven with a sea salt bed. I went back to my table and ... whoaaaah - the pizza was there already. It was almost like sex - 3 minutes or less ... finished na.

Nuccio is so proud of this - he struts around the tables relating the technicals of his oven and why it is possible to produce the pizza so fast. I wasn't listening ... I was digging into chewy, thin crusted delicious, hot pizza . Pizza heaven ...

The evening ended with an interesting espresso con sambuca - again a Nuccio concoction. My obligatory limoncello digestif ... then of course the slurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrpy coffee gelato ...
Calories galore - but well worth it.

Trivia:
Via Montenapoleone is actually the name of a street in Milan, Italy. It is the most important street in Milan's "quadrilatero della moda" (fashion district). It is home to high end fashion labels like Gucci, Fendi, Giorgio Armani, Salvatore Ferragamo ... etc.

Pizzeria Via Montenapoleone
#38 Jupiter Street
Bo. Bel-Air, Makati
899-6147 (reservations and delivery service)

0 comments: