Saturday, August 25, 2007

Bleachers
















Total warfare has recently been waged in the Philippine blogosphere against a writer who exercised political incorrectness to its extreme. The rabidly emotional reaction from on-line Filipinos of all persuasions was so massive that the blogosphere in and of itself proved to be the dominant force in forcing her resignation from the magazine and newspaper for whom she wrote.


Read: (taken from tingog.com)

2. subsequent "apology" (which made things worse)

Of late, a statement has appeared that is apparently her form of surrender to the pressure exerted by legions of enraged countrymen.



" I am humbled by the vehement and heated response provoked by my article entitled 'From Boracay to Greece!' which came out in the June 2007 issue of People Asia. To say that this article was not meant to malign, hurt or express prejudice against the OFWs now sounds hollow after reading through all the blogs from Filipinos all over the world. I am deeply apologetic for my insensitivity and the offensive manner in which this article was written, I hear you all and I am properly rebuked. It was truly not my intention to malign hurt or express prejudice against OFWs. As the recent recipient and target of death threats, hate blogs, and deeply personal insults, I now truly understand the insidiousness of discrimination and prejudice disguised as humor. Our society is bound together by human chains of kindness and decency. I have failed to observe this and I am now reaping the consequences of my actions. It is my fervent hope that the lessons that Ive learned are not lost on all those who through anonymous blogs, engaged in bigotry, discrimination, and hatred ( against overweight individuals , for example ) I take full responsibility for my actions and my friends and family have nothing to do with this. To date I have submitted my resignation letters to both the Manila Standard and People Asia, on that note may this matter be laid to rest. "


Many intellectual and emotional stones have been cast.
This unprecedented controversy is hopefully a lesson for all of us in Pinoy blogosphere. There are standards of "correctness' and decency that still apply despite the freedom to express opinion. The writer was clearly insensitive and out-of-touch.

In my mind - I put the matter of her personality to rest.
I refuse to tackle an issue of principle with a personal attack.
There are enough arguments of principle to stand on its own ground.

The points of view brought forward by the issue however are worth pursuing as an educative process for a better understanding of each others perspective. This is a chance for introspection... a chance to avoid the trap of bigotry that emerges when one lives life in a jaded tower detached from the realities that prevail and abound in one's own surrounding.

I have learned much from my view in the bleachers.
I hope we all have.




2 comments:

Sidney said...

It is quite difficult to keep your cool in blogosphere... in fact man should NEVER post anything immediately and at least wait 24 hours. It is not good to post anything when you get emotional. I am learning this the hard way. :-(

Daguldol Tarakatac III said...

Hahaha ...
Yes Syd - the universe of bloggers is massive and there is a potential for as many divergent positions on "issues" as there are bloggers. Occasionally a "raw nerve" is hit - and the response may be instinctive and retaliatory. More often there is a very intellectual exchange of points of view.

It is a universe of freedom to express ... but still, we must tread the ground very carefully.

Keep on blogging brother ...

daguldol