Saturday, January 24, 2009

Midnight Fix

I am a creature of the midnight snack
At the stroke of midnight - something just seems to happen to me
A transformation of sorts
A wanderlust for leftovers
A search for gastric satisfaction
An uncontrollable urge to munch on something
A deep-seated longing for gastronomic satiety

As kids , my brothers ( and sisters), and I would inevitably sneak down into the forbidden kitchenworld
And in the glow of a lone refrigerator bulb, our eyes would scan the horizon for bite-size treasures
As we grew older - we mastered the skill of "heating" remnants of the dinner just passed
Canned goods were a constant joy
Instant noodles were a boon
Pre-cooked was a convenience
And microwaving was a thrill that we looked forward to ...

Years past the childhood that molded us
The habit of midnight forays has remained
Tonight was no different
I write this post still reeling from the satisfaction of having had my small "midnight fix"
Hoping that all of you are similarly happy with the end of your day...

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah, one of my comfort foods from childhood. I eat mine with hard-boiled eggs. Yummy...I think I'll make that for lunch! Thanks for the reminder.
Heidi

Daguldol Tarakatac III said...

heidi,
yessss - it's a malady that i have passed on to my son. He often joins me at midnight as we gorge on SPAM, Vienna sausages, corned beef, hot dogs, pork&beans etc. Ahhhhhhhh - I can just see the cholesterol building up.

We really have to stop this :-)

dagul

Unknown said...

heheh pork & beans...one of my comfort foods.:D i had a phase when midnight snack was my favorite meal of the day---my sister used to call me, "tirador ng kaning lamig".

Daguldol Tarakatac III said...

luna,
hahahaha - yun yata ang "phase" ko ngayon

kasama na yata yan sa "nervous eating" ko ...

dagul

Anonymous said...

surprise! surprise! surprise! look what the cat brought in. haha! good to see you back, buddy! really. i thought, you're totally out in hibernation for the winter, yogi!

by the way - we're going to the phil. this november! it has been 4 yrs since we visited the country. don't say i didn't warn you.

i hope all is well and hope january is off to a good start. wishing you and your dear ones the best of 2009!

Daguldol Tarakatac III said...

rita,
Yup yup - hibernated and rejuvinated
Thanks for standing by.

Manila is waiting for you. Four years is a long time ...

dagul

Anonymous said...

you bet, buddy! i'm just glad you're back and about.

looking forward to visiting manila. i think, a couple of our friends might want to come along, too. see how it goes.

Daguldol Tarakatac III said...

rita,
Keep me posted
Yahhhh - bring some friends along - God knows the Philippines needs the tourists

You never know ... we might bump into each other in some resto or bar.Remember - i'll be the fat guy in the corner with a glass of wine ..

dagul

Sidney said...

Wow...looks quite "heavy" for a midnight snack!