Thursday, November 30, 2006

Nakamamatay

I often pass this sign at a major road junction . It says "Walang Tawiran - Nakamamatay" (No Crossing - It Can Cause Death) ...

I have wondered whether that means that the authorities are concerned about me and the possibility that somehow something might happen to me if I tried to cross the street through a phalanx of cars that are hardly moving because the policeman allows buses and jeeps to stop wherever they want, allows cars to double park and allows street vendors to take over half the street ...
OR - if that means that the same policeman blind to everyone elses' blatant violations would pick on me and shoot me if I tried to cross the street at that spot.

So, once while stuck in the predictable traffic at that junction , I actually asked the cop on duty. He looked at me, gave it some thought, shrugged his shoulders and walked away ...

Yikes - if he is unsure of the answer, then it becomes really scary.
My advice ... heed the sign.
They probably mean business - I mean heyyyyyy , the sign is colored pink. Wooooooooooooo - afraid ako ...

0 comments: